Place:Ibstock, Leicestershire, England

Alt namesIbestochesource: Domesday Book (1985) p 161
TypeParish (ancient), Urban district
Coordinates52.667°N 1.4°W
Located inLeicestershire, England     (1897 - )
Also located inDerbyshire, England     ( - 1897)
See alsoSparkenhoe Hundred, Leicestershire, Englandhundred in which the parish was included
North West Leicestershire District, Leicestershire, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog

the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Ibstock is a village and civil parish about 2.5 miles (4 km) south of Coalville in the North West Leicestershire District of Leicestershire, England. The village is on the A447 road between Coalville and Hinckley.

The ancient parish of Ibstock formerly included the dependent chapelries of Donington le Heath and Hugglescote but the increase of population led to the establishment of a separate ecclesiastical parish for them in the 19th century. Ibstock was in Derbyshire until 1897.

A History of Britain through Time provides the following description of Ibstock from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"IBSTOCK, a village, a township, a parish, and a [registration] subdistrict in Derbyshire. The village stands near the source of the river Anker, 2 miles S W of Bardon [railway] station, and 4¼ N of Market-Bosworth; is well built; contains some good shops; and has a post office under Ashby-de-la-Zouch.
"The township includes the village, is in Market-Bosworth [registration] district, and comprises 2,257 acres. Real property, £7,655; of which £750 are in mines, and £396 in railways. The parish contains also Hugglescote and Donington township, in Ashby-de-la-Zouch [registration] district; and comprises 4,846 acres. Real property: £12,759; of which £940 are in mines, and £411 in railways. Population: 2,334. Houses: 520. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to Earl Howe. A branch mining railway comes hither from the Swannington railway. Coal is worked at the depth of 450 feet; bricks and tiles are made; and freestone abounds. The living is a rectory, united with the chapelries of Hugglescote and Donington, in the diocese of Peterborough. Value: £1,150. Patron, the Bishop of Peterborough. The church is old; has a tower and spire; and was recently in disrepair. The [perpetual] curacy of Colville [Coalville] is a separate benefice. There are chapels for Baptists and Methodists, a national school, and a British school. Archbishop Land was rector.
"The [registration] sub-district contains Ibstock township, three entire parishes, and parts of three others; and is in Market-Bosworth district. Acres: 18,389. Population: 6,243. Houses: 1,370.

Research Tips

  • The Ashby-de-la-Zouch Rural District page includes a map illustrating the civil parishes of the district. Ibstock is located below Hugglescote and Donington, just under the title of the map.
  • To inspect the smaller settlements in relation to their civil parishes, see the Ordnance Survey Map of 1944 provided by A History of Britain through Time.
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Ibstock. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.