Place:Hyde, Bedfordshire, England

Watchers
NameHyde
Alt namesEast and West Hydesource: Vision of Britain
TypeParish
Coordinates51.850413°N 0.374136°W
Located inBedfordshire, England
Also located inLuton, Bedfordshire, England     ( - 1896)
Contained Places
Hamlet
East Hyde ( 1896 - )
West Hyde ( 1896 - )

Hyde is a civil parish in Bedfordshire. It was created in 1896 from the southern part of the ancient parish of Luton[1]. The parish takes its name from two hamlets it contains, East Hyde and West Hyde. East Hyde is the larger of the two hamlets and contains the parish's only place of worship, the church of Holy Trinity. This was built in 1841 as a Church of England chapel, being a daughter church of St Mary's, Luton. In the early 21st century it became a Greek Orthodox church.

Hyde parish is dominated by the estate of Luton Hoo. West Hyde was essentially an estate village for the people who worked on the Hoo estate.