- source: Family History Library Catalog
Hunsworth was a civil parish, and an urban district until 1937 when it was absorbed by the urban district of Spenborough. Since 1974 it has been part of the Kirklees District of West Yorkshire.
In the 19th century and earlier it was a township in the ecclesiastical parish of Birstall in the Morley Division of Agbrigg and Morley Wapentake. It was within the Bradford Registration District until 1848 and then in the North Bierley Registration District.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Hunsworth from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "HUNSWORTH, a township in Birstall parish, [West Riding of] Yorkshire; 1½ mile from Cleckheaton and Low Moor [railway] stations, and 3½ SSE of Bradford. Acres: 1,310. Real property: £6,452; of which £270 are in mines, and £2,520 in quarries. Population: 1,199. Houses: 248. The manor belongs to the Trustees of the Savile estates. There are woollen mills and dye works. A church, for the chapelry of Birkenshaw-cum-Hunsworth, is in the adjoining village of Birkenshaw, and was built in 1829; and a wesleyan chapel is at East Bierley."