Place:Hunsterson, Cheshire, England

TypeTownship, Civil parish
Coordinates53.011°N 2.452°W
Located inCheshire, England
See alsoWybunbury, Cheshire, Englandancient parish of which it was a township
Nantwich Hundred, Cheshire, Englandhundred in which it was located
Nantwich Rural, Cheshire, Englandrural district in which it was located 1894-1974
Crewe and Nantwich District, Cheshire, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area 1974-2009
Cheshire East District, Cheshire, Englanddistrict municipality and unitary authority covering the area since 2009
source: Family History Library Catalog
the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Hunsterson is a hamlet and civil parish in the unitary authority of Cheshire East and the ceremonial county of Cheshire, England. The hamlet is located 2¾ miles to the northeast of Audlem and 6 miles to the south of Crewe. The parish also includes the settlements of Brown Moss, Four Lane End in Hunsterson, Foxes Bank and Whittaker's Green. The total population is a little over 150. Nearby villages include Audlem, Buerton, Hatherton and Hankelow.

GENUKI provides the following information

Hunsterson was a township in Wybunbury ancient parish in Nantwich Hundred which became a civil parish in 1866. The ancient parish church for the township of Hunsterson was St. Chad's in Wybunbury. In 1840 St. John's in Doddington became the district church for Hunsterson.

Research Tips

  • The GENUKI and UKBMD pages on Cheshire and its parishes point to many other sources of information on places within the county. The many small parishes and townships that existed before 1866 are treated individually as well as the larger towns and conurbations.
  • A Vision of Britain through Time provides a series of maps from the Ordnance Survey illustrating the towns and villages of Cheshire and also the borders between parishes. The following group of maps provide views of the county at various dates, illustrating the changes in administrative structure.
  • Cheshire Archives and Local Studies have organized a facility to compare 19th century maps (including tithe maps circa 1830) with modern Ordnance Survey maps. These are available for every civil parish. The detail is very magnified and it is difficult to read any placenames on the older maps. Cheshire Archives and Local Studies are the local keepers of historical material for the county.
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Hunsterson. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.