- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Hunsingore is a village and civil parish in the Harrogate District of North Yorkshire, England. It is situated near the River Nidd and the A1 road motorway, about 20 miles (32 km) west of York. 4 miles (6 km) north east of Wetherby.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Hunsingore from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "HUNSINGORE, a village, a township, and a parish in Knaresborough district, [West Riding of] Yorkshire. The village stands on the river Nidd, 2½ miles SSE of Allerton [railway] station, and 4½ NW by N of Wetherby; and has a post office under Tadcaster. The township comprises 930 acres. Real property: £1,801. Population: 192. Houses: 39.—The [ecclesiastical] parish contains also the township of Cattal and that of Great Ribston-with-Walshford. Acres: 3,660. Real property: £6,193. Population: 561. Houses: 114. The property is subdivided. Ribston Hall is the seat of Joseph Dent, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £420. Patron, J. Dent, Esq. The church has a tower, is partly ivy clad, and was recently in disrepair. An ancient chapel is attached to Ribston Hall. There is a national school."
Historically, Hunsingore was an ecclesiastical parish in the Upper division of the Claro Wapentake. From 1894 until 1938, Hunsingore was located in Great Ouseburn Rural District and from 1938 until 1974 in Nidderdale Rural District. In 1974 the area became part of the Harrogate District of North Yorkshire.
The page, Great Ouseburn Rural District, has an outline map of all the civil parishes in the district.
- GENUKI on Hunsingore. The GENUKI page gives numerous references to local bodies providing genealogical assistance.
- The FamilySearch wiki on the ecclesiastical parish of Hunsingore provides a list of useful resources for the local area.
- A Vision of Britain through Time on Hunsingore.
- A Vision of Britain through Time also provides links to maps of the West Riding, produced by the United Kingdom Ordnance Survey, illustrating the boundaries between the civil parishes and the rural districts at various dates. Those listed here provide data for the part of the West Riding that transferred to North Yorkshire in 1974 plus the northern parts of Leeds and Bradford. These maps all blow up to a scale that will illustrate small villages and large farms or estates.
- Ordnance Survey West Riding 1888. The "Sanitary Districts (which preceded the rural districts) for the whole of the West Riding.
- Ordnance Survey Northern part of the West Riding 1900 The rural and urban districts, not long after their introduction. (rural districts of Sedbergh, Settle, Skipton, Pateley Bridge, Ripon, Knaresborough, Great Ouseburn, Clitheroe, Wharfedale, Wetherby, York, Bishopthorpe, Keighley, the northern part of Bradford, the northern part of Leeds, the northern part of Hunslet Urban District, the northern part of Tadcaster Rural District, the northern part of Selby Rural District)
- Ordnance Survey Northern part of the West Riding 1944. The urban and rural districts of the northern part of the West Riding (mostly Settle, Skipton, Ripon and Pateley Bridge, and Nidderdale, with sections of Wharfedale and Wetherby) after the revisions of 1935.
Help fund new features!