|Type||Township, Chapelry, Civil parish|
|Located in||Northumberland, England|
|See also||Simonburn, Northumberland, England||ancient parish in which it was a township|
|Tynedale Ward, Northumberland, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Hexham Rural, Northumberland, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1974|
|Black Carts with Ryehill, Northumberland, England||parish absorbed into Humshaugh in 1955|
|Haughton, Northumberland, England||parish absorbed into Humshaugh in 1955|
|Tynedale District, Northumberland, England||district municipality covering the area 1974-2009|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Humshaugh from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "HUMSHAUGH, a village and a township chapelry in Simonburn parish, Northumberland. The village stands near the Roman wall and the river North Tyne, 1½ mile W of Chollerford [railway] station, and 5 N-W by N of Hexham; and has a post office under Hexham.
- "The chapelry extends to the North Tyne, and includes the mansion of Chesters, the seat of John Clayton, Esq., with the rich and interesting remains of the Roman station of Cilurnum. Population: 443. Houses: 85. The manor belonged formerly to the Swinburnes. Limestone is quarried. The living is a [perpetual] curacy in the diocese of Durham. Value: £120. Patrons: the Governors of Greenwich Hospital. The church is a neat modern edifice, in the Saxon style."
Humshaugh was a township in the ancient parish of Simonburn and became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 it was part of Hexham Rural District. In 1955 the parishes of Black Carts with Ryehill and Haughton were abolished and absorbed into Humshaugh along with a section of the parish of Warden. At the same time some acreage was transferred to Simonburn. In 1974 rural districts were abolished and Humshaugh became part of the Tynedale District until 2009 when Northumberland became a unitary authority.
Wikipedia has an article on Humshaugh.
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.
Categories: Northumberland, England | Humshaugh, Northumberland, England | Simonburn, Northumberland, England | Tynedale Ward, Northumberland, England | Hexham Rural, Northumberland, England | Tynedale District, Northumberland, England