|:the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Hullshire (#10 on map), or the County of Hull, was a county (but, better-styled, a "wapentake") of England from 1440 to 1889. Hullshire may refer to the area outside the town of Kingston upon Hull within the county, whilst the entire entity was sometimes referred to as the "Town and County of Hull".
Hull was made a county town in 1440 in the reign of Henry VI. A number of small towns nearby were separated from Yorkshire and added to it. The region was self-governing (a "County corporate") in respect of it having its own courts, with powers of oyer and terminer, to hold assizes on civil and criminal cases. At creation the county had included into it the town and parishes of Hessle (sometimes Hassel), North Ferriby, Swanland, West Ella, Kirk Ella, Willardby (or Willerby), Anlaby and the priory of Haltemprise.
Sculcoates, Drypool, the southern part of Sutton (Sutton on Hull), Garrison Side and the liberty of Myton were added to the parliamentary borough in 1832, and in 1836 the new municipal borough was made to be of the same extent. (See also Municipal Corporations Act 1835). Newington (parishes of Kirk Ella and North Ferriby); Stoneferry; Marfleet and Newland (near Hull) were added in the second half of the 19th century.
Hullshire was abolished in 1889. (See Local Government Act 1888). Hull became a county borough in 1888, and gained city status in 1897.