Donington le Heath and Hugglescote were villages within the parish of Ibstock until 1878, when they were formed into a separate civil parish. In 1936 the parish was absorbed by the then urban district of Coalville. The civil parish of Hugglescote and Donington le Heath was reinstated by an order made in May 2010, and the new parish council held its first meeting in May 2011.
In 1463 William Beaumont, 2nd Viscount Beaumont held the manors of Donington and Hugglescote. However, in the Wars of the Roses Beaumont had fought for the House of Lancaster so he was attaindered and Edward IV granted Donington and Hugglescote to the Yorkist courtier William Hastings, 1st Baron Hastings.
Donington le Heath
Donington le Heath is a village on the River Sence just over 1 mile (1.6 km) south of the centre of Coalville in the District of North West Leicestershire. Donington is contiguous with the village of Hugglescote immediately to the east.
As early as 1220 both Donington le Heath and Hugglescote were dependent chapelries of the parish of Ibstock. By the 18th century however, these buildings were practically ruinous. Saint Peter's Donington was demolished in about 1770 and has never been replaced.
Farmland in the township was enclosed in 1774. In 1945 this estate was sold by Brigadier C.L.O. Tayleur.
Donington le Heath Manor House, built around 1280, is one of the oldest surviving houses in England. The building stands on Anglo-Saxon foundations, suggesting that an even earlier structure occupied the site: it has a hall facing south and two wings on the north side and a moat. There are some alterations made in the 17th century, including some of the windows and the ground floor entrance.
Hugglescote is a village on the River Sence in North West Leicestershire, England. The village is about 1 mile (1.6 km) south of the centre of Coalville, and its built-up area is now contiguous with the town.