Howland Township is one of the twenty-four townships of Trumbull County, Ohio, United States. Along with Liberty Township, it is one of two urban townships in Trumbull County. The 2000 census found 19,451 people in the township, 17,546 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
In 1620, John Howland landed in Plymouth, Massachusetts aboard the Mayflower. A descendant of his, Joseph Howland, purchased the township from the Connecticut Land Company in 1795. The first settler arrived in 1799, and the township was organized in 1812.
A sawmill was constructed in Howland in 1814, with a gristmill constructed the following year. Circa 1830, Howland Springs began operation as a health spa; it operated in the township until it burned in 1882.
The Howland Local School District was formed in 1917 from the consolidation of five one-room schools. The township was sparsely populated until 1953, when the Clifton-Hyde housing development was built. The township has seen sustained growth since that time, as the nearby cities of Warren and Youngstown have suburbanized the township.