- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Houghton and Closehouse from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "HOUGHTON AND CLOSEHOUSE, a township in Heddon-on-the-Wall parish, Northumberland; near the Roman wall, 8½ miles W by N of Newcastle-on-Tyne. Acres: 597. Population: 147. Houses: 38. An old tower is here, 100 feet by 44. Closehouse belonged to the Ratcliffes, and passed to the Bewicks."
Houghton and Closehouse was originally a township in the ancient parish of Heddon on the Wall. It became a separate civil parish in 1866, but in 1955 it returned to being part of Heddon on the Wall.
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.