Place:Hose, Leicestershire, England

Alt namesHochessource: Domesday Book (1985) p 161
Howessource: Domesday Book (1985) p 161
TypeParish (ancient), Civil parish
Coordinates52.85°N 0.917°W
Located inLeicestershire, England     ( - 1936)
See alsoFramland Hundred, Leicestershire, Englandhundred in which the parish was included
Melton Mowbray Rural, Leicestershire, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1935
Clawson and Harby, Leicestershire, Englandcivil parish into which it was absorbed in 1936
Melton District, Leicestershire, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Hose from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"HOSE, a parish, with a village, in Melton-Mowbray [registration] district, Leicester; on the Grantham canal, adjacent to Notts, 7 miles N of Melton-Mowbray [railway] station. Post town: Harby, under Melton-Mowbray. Acres: 2,140. Real property: £3,859. Population: 477. Houses: 105. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Duke of Rutland. Hose Grange is a meet for the Belvoir hounds. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough. Value: £105. Patron: the Duke of Rutland. The church is ancient, has a pinnacled tower, and was recently in disrepair. There are a Baptist chapel and a national school."

Hose was one of three civil parishes which joined together in 1936 to make the single parish of Clawson and Harby which exists today. It was an ancient or ecclesiastical parish as well as, after 1866, a civil parish in its own right.

Local Administration

The parish was part of Melton Mowbray Rural District from 1894 until 1935 when the rural district was abolished and replaced by the Melton and Belvoir Rural District which covered a larger area. A year after the introduction of the new rural district its parishes were reorganized and reduced in number from 68 to 25.

In 1974 a new nationwide organization of local government was introduced in which rural and urban districts were replaced by "non-metropolitan" districts. In the northeast of Leicestershire this meant little save for the fact that the principal town of Melton Mowbray, formerly a separate urban district, was now governed by the same body (Melton District or Borough) as the rural area that surrounded it.

Research Tips

Maps on the place-pages for Belvoir Rural District and Melton and Belvoir Rural District illustrate the location of the various parishes and the geographical and administrative changes that occurred in 1936.