- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Horton Park is a public park in Bradford, England, located to the west of the city in Great Horton. It was opened on May 25, 1878 on land purchased by Bradford Council in 1873.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Great and Little Horton from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "HORTON, a township, three chapelries, and a subdistrict, in the parish and district of Bradford, [West Riding of] Yorkshire. The township comprises the southwestern suburbs of Bradford; lies all within Bradford borough; extends 3 miles south-westward from the market place; is divided, for highway purposes, into the hamlets of Great Horton and Little Horton; and contains the villages of Lidget-Green and Scholes-Moor. Acres, 2,070. Real property, £82,971; of which £100 are in mines, and £150 in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 28,143; in 1861, 30,189. Houses, 6,391.
- "The manor figured at Domesday as a berewick of the manor of Bradford; became afterwards a part of the estates of the Lacys, Earls of Lincoln; was given, in the time of Henry II., to Robert de Lacy, ancestor of the Horton family; passed afterwards through several families; and belongs now to Captain Rhys. Little Horton Hall was, for several centures, the residence of the distinguished family of Sharpe; belongs now to F. S. Powell, Esq.; and is an ancient mansion, with massive central tower and two wings. The woollen and cotton manufactures are extensively carried on; and a cattle fair is held at Great Horton on 5 Sept.
- "The Bradford workhouse is here; and, at the census of 1861, had 355 inmates.
- "The chapelries are Great Horton, Horton-All Saints, and Horton-St. James; and the last was constituted in 1842. The two first are p. curacies, the third a vicarage. Value of Great H., £330; * of H.All Saints, not reported; of H. ST. James, £250.* Patron of the first, the Vicar of Bradford; of the second, F. S. Powell, Esq.; of the third, J. Wood, Esq. The church of Great H. was built in 1807, as a chapel of ease, at a cost of £1, 200; and a new church, in room of it, was about to be built in 1866. The church of All Saints was completed in 1864, and is noticed in our article BRADFORD. There are several dissenting chapels, an endowed grammar school with £68 a year, another endowed school with £30, a mechanics' institute, and charities £60.—-The sub-district contains the townships of Horton and Manningham. Acres, 3,365. Pop., 43,078. Houses, 9,070.
Historically, Great and Little Horton were in the ecclesiastical parish of Bradford in the Morley division of the wapentake of Agbrigg and Morley.
- GENUKI on Horton. The GENUKI page gives numerous references to local bodies providing genealogical assistance.
- The FamilySearch wiki on the ecclesiastical parish of Bradford provides a list of useful resources for the local area.
- A Vision of Britain through Time on Horton.
- A Vision of Britain through Time also provides links to four maps of the West Riding, produced by the United Kingdom Ordnance Survey, illustrating the boundaries between the civil parishes and the rural districts at various dates. These maps all blow up to a scale that will illustrate small villages and large farms or estates.
- Ordnance Survey West Riding 1888. The "Sanitary Districts (which preceded the rural districts) for the whole of the West Riding.
- Ordnance Survey West Riding South 1900. The rural and urban districts, not long after their introduction. (the southern part of Bradford, the southern part of Leeds, the southern part of Tadcaster Rural District, the southern part of Selby, Goole Rural District, and all the divisions of Halifax, Huddersfield, Wakefield, Doncaster, Barnsley, Rotherham and Sheffield)
- Ordnance Survey West Riding North 1900 The rural and urban districts, not long after their introduction. (rural districts of Sedbergh, Settle, Skipton, Pateley Bridge, Ripon, Knaresborough, Great Ouseburn, Clitheroe, Wharfedale, Wetherby, York, Bishopthorpe, Keighley, the northern part of Bradford, the northern part of Leeds, the northern part of Hunslet Urban District, the northern part of Tadcaster Rural District, the northern part of Selby Rural District)
- Ordnance Survey West Riding 1944. The urban and rural districts of the whole of the West Riding after the revisions of 1935.
Help fund new features!