Place:Horsley (near Wylam), Northumberland, England

Watchers
NameHorsley (near Wylam)
Alt namesHorsley
TypeTownship, Civil parish
Coordinates54.988°N 1.853°W
Located inNorthumberland, England     ( - 1955)
See alsoOvingham, Northumberland, Englandancient parish in which it was a township
Tynedale Ward, Northumberland, Englandancient county division in which it was located
Hexham Rural, Northumberland, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1974
Nafferton, Northumberland, Englandcivil parish absorbed in 1955
Spittle (near Hexham), Northumberland, Englandcivil parish absorbed in 1955
Welton, Northumberland, Englandcivil parish absorbed in 1955
Whittle (near Hexham), Northumberland, Englandcivil parish absorbed in 1955
Tynedale District, Northumberland, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area 1974-2009
source: Family History Library Catalog

NOTE: There is a second place named Horsley (near Otterburn) further north in Northumberland as well as a larger settlement nearer Newcastle now named Longhorsley, but formerly named Long Horsley.


A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Horsley (near Wylam) from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"HORSLEY, a township in Ovingham parish, Northumberland; near the Roman wall, the river Tyne, and the Newcastle and Carlisle railway, 2½ miles NW of Wylam. It has a post office under Wylam, and chapels for Independents and Wesleyans. Acres: 1,478. Population: 272. Houses: 58.

Horsley (near Wylam) was a township in the ancient parish of Ovingham and became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 it was part of Hexham Rural District. In 1955 the civil parish enlarged by the abolition of the four neighbouring parishes of Nafferton, Spittle (near Hexham), Welton and Whittle (near Hexham). In 1974 rural districts were abolished and Horsley became a civil parish in the Tynedale District until 2009 when municipal districts were abolished and Northumberland became a unitary authority.


Research Tips

  • Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.