The Town of Hope is in the southeast corner of the county and is northwest of Schenectady.
The town was first settled around 1790 near the south town line.
The Town of Hope was formed in 1818 from part of the Town of Wells. The size was increased by part of the Town of Lake Pleasant in 1847. In 1860, the western part of Hope was used to form the Town of Benson.
In 1820, the census showed a population of about 600.
An iron pigment mine once existed in the north part of town.