- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Hooton Pagnell is a village and civil parish in the Metropolitan Borough of Doncaster in South Yorkshire, England, at a point where it borders with West Yorkshire. Its 21st-century population is about 200. The name of the village derives from Ralph de Paganel (sometimes spelled Paynell), a Norman who was a tenant-in-chief in Yorkshire named in the Domesday Book and an extensive landowner.
Historically, Hooton Pagnell was an ecclesiastical parish n the wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill. From 1894 until 1974, Hooton Pagnell was located in Doncaster Rural District.
In 1920 two smaller villages, Bilham and Stotfold, were absorbed into the civil parish.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Hooton Pagnell.
- GENUKI on Hooton Pagnell. The GENUKI page gives numerous references to local bodies providing genealogical assistance.
- The FamilySearch wiki on the ecclesiastical parish of Hooton Pagnell provides a list of useful resources for the local area.
- A Vision of Britain through Time on Hooton Pagnell.
- A Vision of Britain through Time also provides links to three maps for what is now South Yorkshire, produced by the United Kingdom Ordnance Survey, illustrating the boundaries between the civil parishes and the rural districts at various dates. These maps all blow up to a scale that will illustrate small villages and large farms or estates.
- Ordnance Survey West Riding 1888. The "Sanitary Districts (which preceded the rural districts) for the whole of the West Riding.
- Ordnance Survey West Riding South 1900. The rural and urban districts, not long after their introduction. (the southern part of Bradford, the southern part of Leeds, the southern part of Tadcaster Rural District, the southern part of Selby, Goole Rural District, and all the divisions of Halifax, Huddersfield, Wakefield, Doncaster, Barnsley, Rotherham and Sheffield)
- Ordnance Survey West Riding 1944. The urban and rural districts of the whole of the West Riding after the revisions of 1935.
Help fund new features!