|Alt names||Hoole Village||source: Wikipedia|
|Type||Township, Village, Civil parish|
|Located in||Cheshire, England|
|See also||Broxton (hundred), Cheshire, England||hundred in which it was situated|
|Great Boughton Registration District, Cheshire, England||registration district of which it was part 1837-1871|
|Chester Registration District, Cheshire, England||registration district of which it was part after 1871|
|Chester Rural, Cheshire, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1974|
|Plemstall, Cheshire, England||ancient parish of which it was part|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
NOTE: There is also a suburb of Chester named Hoole (53.197N, 2.862W) which was at one time an urban district. They are not the same place today, but they were close enough that there were transfers of land from one to the other. The urban district was completely absorbed into Chester in 1954.
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Hoole Village is a civil parish situated near to Chester, which since 2009 has been located in the unitary authority of Cheshire West and Chester and the ceremonial county of Cheshire, England. In 2004 its population was estimated to be 230.
The parish contains the southern end of the M53 motorway where it becomes the A55 road. At this point it is crossed by the A56 road.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Hoole from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "HOOLE, a village and a township in Plemonstall [Plemstall] parish, Cheshire. The village stands near the Chester and Manchester railway, 2¼ miles NNE of Chester; and has a constabulary office, a lecture hall and reading room, and a national school.
- "The township comprises 743 acres. Real property: £6,144. Population in 1851: 427; in 1861: 1,596. Houses: 314. The increase of population was caused by proximity to Chester [railway] station. The landowners are the Earl of Shrewsbury, W. Brittain, Esq., and Mrs. Hamilton. Hoole Heath was allotted to the chiefs from Wales and elsewhere who went to Hugh Lupus' standard. A church was built in 1868.
- The GENUKI and UKBMD pages on Cheshire and its parishes point to many other sources of information on places within the county. The many small parishes and townships that existed before 1866 are treated individually as well as the larger towns and conurbations.
- A Vision of Britain through Time provides a series of maps from the Ordnance Survey illustrating the towns and villages of Cheshire and also the borders between parishes. The following group of maps provide views of the county at various dates, illustrating the changes in administrative structure.
- Cheshire Archives and Local Studies have organized a facility to compare 19th century maps (including tithe maps circa 1830) with modern Ordnance Survey maps. These are available for every civil parish. The detail is very magnified and it is difficult to read any placenames on the older maps. Cheshire Archives and Local Studies are the local keepers of historical material for the county.
Categories: Cheshire, England | Broxton (hundred), Cheshire, England | Great Boughton Registration District, Cheshire, England | Chester Registration District, Cheshire, England | Chester Rural, Cheshire, England | Plemstall, Cheshire, England | Hoole, Cheshire, England
Help fund new features!