Place:Holywell, Northumberland, England

Alt namesEast Holywellsource: village in parish
West Holywellsource: village in parish
TypeTownship, Civil parish
Located inNorthumberland, England     ( - 1974)
Also located inTyne and Wear, England     (1974 - )
See alsoEarsdon (near North Shields), Northumberland, England|ancient parish in which it was a townshipCastle Ward, Northumberland, England|ancient county division in which it was located
Tynemouth Rural, Northumberland, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1897
Seaton Valley, Northumberland, Englandcivil parish into which it was absorbed in 1897
North Tyneside, Tyne and Wear, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
source: Family History Library Catalog

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Holywell from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"HOLYWELL, or HALLIWELL, a township in Earsdon parish, Northumberland; 4½ miles NNW of North Shields. Acres: 1,180. Population in 1851: 1,134; in 1861: 1,261. Houses: 271. It has a post office under Newcastle-on-Tyne. The manor belongs to the Duke of Northumberland. Coal is extensively worked; and there is a mineral spring."

Holywell was a township in the ancient parish of Earsdon (near North Shields). It became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 until 1897 it was part of Tynemouth Rural District. In 1912 the civil parish was abolished and the area was absorbed into the parish of Seaton Valley.

In 1974 this part of Northumberland became part of the district of North Tyneside within the county of Tyne and Wear.

Research Tips

  • Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.