- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Holywell-cum-Needingworth from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "HOLYWELL-CUM-NEEDINGWORTH, a parish, containing the village of Holywell and the large hamlet of Needingworth, in St. Ives district, Huntingdon. Holywell village stands near the river Ouse and the boundary with Cambridge, 1½ mile E by S of St. Ives [railway] station; and Needingworth hamlet lies nearly 2 miles NE by E of that station, and has a post office, under St. Ives, Hunts. The name Holywell was taken from a spring which rises in the churchyard, and which, in the Romish times, was much frequented by devotees.
- "The parish comprises 3,209 acres. Real property: £7, 189. Population in 1851: 915; in 1861: 826. Houses: 193. The manor belongs to the Duke of Manchester. The manor house is now used as a farm house. Numerous fragments of Roman pottery have been found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value: £528. Patron: the Duke of Manchester. The church consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with porch and tower; and was recently restored. A large Baptist chapel was built at Needingworth in 1 861. A building, formerly a dissenting chapel, is now a parochial school. Charities, £25."
There has always been one civil parish comprising the two settlements. Until 1965 Holywell-cum-Needingworth was located in the County of Huntingdonshire. After mergers in 1965 and 1974 the county became part of Cambridgeshire. It was part of the St Ives Rural District until 1974 and is now in the Huntingdonshire administrative district of Cambridgeshire.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Holywell.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Needingworth.
- Original historical documents relating to Huntingdonshire are held by Cambridgeshire Archives and Local Studies at the County Record Office in Huntingdon.
- A History of the County of Huntingdon in 3 volumes from British History Online (Victoria County Histories), published 1911. This is by far the most complete history of the parishes of the county to be found online. The chapters are ordered by the divisions of the county called hundreds, but each chapter is linked to the volume's content page.
- GENUKI has a page on Huntingdonshire and pages for each of the ecclesiastical parishes in the county. These give references to other organizations who hold genealogical information for the local area.
- The FamilyTree Wiki has a series of pages similar to those provided by GENUKI which may have been prepared at a later date.
- A Vision of Britain through Time, section "Units and Statistics" leads to analyses of population and organization of the county from about 1800 through 1974. There are pages available for all civil parishes, municipal boroughs and other administrative divisions.
- Map of Huntingdonshire divisions in 1888 produced by UK Ordnance Survey and provided online by A Vision of Britain through Time
- Map of Huntingdonshire divisions in 1944 produced by UK Ordnance Survey and provided online by A Vision of Britain through Time
Help fund new features!