|Alt names||East Holywell||source: village in parish|
|West Holywell||source: village in parish|
|Type||Township, Civil parish|
|Located in||Northumberland, England ( - 1974)|
|Also located in||Tyne and Wear, England (1974 - )|
|See also||Earsdon (near North Shields), Northumberland, England|||ancient parish in which it was a townshipCastle Ward, Northumberland, England|ancient county division in which it was located|
|Tynemouth Rural, Northumberland, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1897|
|Seaton Valley, Northumberland, England||civil parish into which it was absorbed in 1897|
|North Tyneside, Tyne and Wear, England||district municipality covering the area since 1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Holywell from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "HOLYWELL, or HALLIWELL, a township in Earsdon parish, Northumberland; 4½ miles NNW of North Shields. Acres: 1,180. Population in 1851: 1,134; in 1861: 1,261. Houses: 271. It has a post office under Newcastle-on-Tyne. The manor belongs to the Duke of Northumberland. Coal is extensively worked; and there is a mineral spring."
Holywell was a township in the ancient parish of Earsdon (near North Shields). It became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 until 1897 it was part of Tynemouth Rural District. In 1912 the civil parish was abolished and the area was absorbed into the parish of Seaton Valley.
In 1974 this part of Northumberland became part of the district of North Tyneside within the county of Tyne and Wear.
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.
Categories: Northumberland, England | Holywell, Northumberland, England | Earsdon (near North Shields), Northumberland, England | Castle Ward, Northumberland, England | Tynemouth Rural, Northumberland, England | Seaton Valley, Northumberland, England | North Tyneside, Tyne and Wear, England