Place:Holwick, Durham, England

Watchers


NameHolwick
TypeVillage
Coordinates54.633°N 2.15°W
Located inDurham, England


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Holwick is a small village in Teesdale, County Durham, England. Located in the Pennine hills, it consists of a few houses spread along a road in the pattern of a linear settlement.

It has a public house, the Strathmore Arms, and a campsite. Holwick sits above the River Tees, beyond Middleton-in-Teesdale, and opposite the village of Newbiggin on the other side of the valley. Nearby are the High Force and Low Force waterfalls. The surrounding landscape is high moorland and fells.

History

the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

The earliest evidence of habitation in the area comes from Mesolithic microliths dating back at least 6000 years. The people who left them, however, were not settled in the area, but hunted there during the summer. Agriculture began in the Neolithic period, and the remains of buildings have been found from the Bronze Age. The present-day village of Holwick was first recorded in 1235, though the origin of the name is uncertain, believed to mean either "dairy farm in a hollow" or "in the holly". In addition to hill farming of sheep, lead mining and iron smelting was conducted in the mediæval period, with lead mining and stone quarrying increasing in importance throughout Teesdale in the 18th century. A suspension bridge was built across the Tees near Holwick in 1704, and collapsed in 1802, killing one. It was repaired but finally replaced in 1830. Substantial quarrying and lead mining did not continue into the 20th century, and the economy of the village has since returned to sheep farming.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Holwick. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.