Place:Holwell, Bedfordshire, England

Watchers
NameHolwell
Alt namesHolewellasource: Domesday Book (1985) p 137
Holewellesource: Domesday Book (1985) p 137
TypeParish
Coordinates51.983°N 0.3°W
Located inBedfordshire, England     ( - 1897)
Also located inHertfordshire, England     (1897 - )
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names


Holwell is a village and civil parish on the Hertfordshire / Bedfordshire border. Until 1897 it was in Bedfordshire, but was transferred in that year to Hertfordshire.


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Holwell is a small village and a civil parish two miles north of Hitchin in Hertfordshire, England, near the Bedfordshire border. The church is unusual and, although largely rebuilt, retains some Perpendicular features and an interesting brass to Richard Wodehouse. The school, almshouses, and rectory are all in a similar Tudor style erected in the 1830s, but are no longer in use and have been converted into housing. Fragments of early wall paintings and wooden mullioned windows have been discovered in the mediaeval timber-framed Church Farmhouse.


It is not to be confused with Holwell Court, near Essendon, also in Hertfordshire.

This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Holwell, Hertfordshire. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.