Holton le Moor is a small village and civil parish in the West Lindsey District of Lincolnshire, England, lying on the B1434 road. The nearest towns are Market Rasen 6 miles (10 km) to the south and Caistor 3 miles (5 km) to the northeast. It was formerly served by Holton Le Moor railway station.
In the Domesday account the village is written as "Hoctune". It was within the manor of Caistor in the then Lindsey North Riding, and prior to the Norman conquest under the lordship of Earl Morcar. By 1086 the manor had fallen under the lordship of Ivo Taillebois and William I.
Until 1866 Holton le Moor was in the parish of Caistor. In 1866 it became a civil parish and in 1894, a part of Caistor Rural District. (Source: A Vision of Britain through Time) In 1881 it had a population of 178 and the chief agricultural production of the area was in wheat, barley, oats and turnips.
The Grade II listed Anglican church is dedicated to St Luke. It was re-built in 1854 by a George Place in Early English style, consisting of a chancel, nave, north aisle, and a bell turret with two bells. It was again partly rebuilt in 1926 by H. G. Gamble. The earlier parts of the church are ironstone, the doorway Norman style, and the stoup 13th century. There are memorials to the Dixon family, Lords of the Manor, painted wall decoration in the south chapel and stained glass windows from 1893.
Holton Hall was built in 1785 for Thomas Dixon by a local builder, and is listed, as are the hall's stables.
Lincolnshire is very low-lying and land had to be drained for agriculture to be successful. The larger drainage channels, many of which are parallel to each other, became boundaries between parishes. Many parishes are long and thin for this reason.
There is much fenland in Lincolnshire, particularly in the Boston and Horncastle areas. Fenlands tended to be extraparochial before the mid 1850s, and although many sections were identified with names and given the title "civil parish", little information has been found about them. Many appear to be abolished in 1906, but the parish which adopts them is not given in A Vision of Britain through Time. Note the WR category Lincolnshire Fenland Settlements which is an attempt to organize them into one list.
From 1889 until 1974 Lincolnshire was divided into three administrative counties: Parts of Holland, Parts of Kesteven and Parts of Lindsey. These formal names do not fit with modern grammatical usage, but that is what they were, nonetheless. In 1974 the northern section of Lindsey, along with the East Riding of Yorkshire, became the short-lived county of Humberside. In 1996 Humberside was abolished and the area previously in Lincolnshire was made into the two "unitary authorities" of North Lincolnshire and North East Lincolnshire. The remainder of Lincolnshire was divided into "non-metropolitan districts" or "district municipalities" in 1974. Towns, villages and parishes are all listed under Lincolnshire, but the present-day districts are also given so that places in this large county can more easily be located and linked to their wider neighbourhoods. See the WR placepage Lincolnshire, England and the smaller divisions for further explanation.