- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
Since 1932 Holmer has been a civil parish located immediately north of the City of Hereford. In the 19th century it covered a much greater area as is described in John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales quoted below. Much of the original parish was absorbed into Hereford Municipal Borough in 1884.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Holmer from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "HOLMER, a village, a township, and a parish, in the [registration] district and county of Hereford. The village stands near the Shrewsbury and Hereford railway, 2 miles N of Hereford; and has a post office under Hereford.
- "The township includes Shelwick hamlet, and bears the name of Holmer and Shelwick. Real property: £7,504. Population in 1851: 618; in 1861: 1,083. Houses: 213.
- "The parish contains also the township of Huntington; and comprises 3,069 acres. Real property: £8,778. Population in 1851: 747; in 1861: 1,237. Houses, 242. The increase of population arose mainly from the operations of a Freehold Land society. The property of Holmer and Shelwick township is much subdivided; and that of Huntington is divided among three. Holmer Lodge, Westfield House, and Copelands are chief residences. The living is a vicarage, united with the [perpetual] curacy of Huntington, in the diocese of Hereford. Value: £220. Patrons: the Dean and Chapter of Hereford. The parochial church is ancient; comprises merely nave and chancel, with a tower; and looks to be early English, but wants distinctive features. The tower was recently in need of repair. The church of Huntington is modern and neat. Charities £11."