- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Holmbridge is a small village on the A6024 to the southwest of Holmfirth and south of Huddersfield in West Yorkshire, England. It is in the modern parish of Holme Valley (once the Holmfirth Urban District) and the metropolitan borough of Kirklees.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of ---- from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "HOLME-BRIDGE, a village and a chapelry in Almondbury parish, [West Riding of] Yorkshire. The village is in Austonley township; stands on an affluent of the river Colne, 2 miles SW of Holmfirth [railway] station, and 8 SSW of Huddersfield; and has a post office under Huddersfield. The chapelry was constituted in 1842; comprises the townships of Austonley and Holme; includes, within these townships, a large tract of the name of Hinchliff, engaged in the woollen trade; and contains the places called Digley, Longwalls, Bradshaw, Banktop, Ogley, Stubbin, Upper Knowl, Flash-House, Crow-Stubbins, Yew-Tree, Carr-Lane, Greengate, Bottoms, New Laith, Edge-End, Townend, Whitewalls, Hoowood, Greensyke, and Green Owlers. Acres, 5,750. Real property, £7,883; of which 505 are in quarries. Population in 1851, 3,183; in 1861, 2,708. Houses, 504.
- "The decrease of population was all in Austonley township, and arose from the destruction of a number of mills by the bursting of Bilberry reservoir. That disaster occurred in 1852, and involved the loss of 81 lives, and also a loss of nearly £100,000's worth of property. The reservoir was reconstructed in 1855. The stream which drains the chapelry bears the name of Holme river; rises among mountains near the chapelry's boundary with Cheshire; and runs north-north-eastward and northward, past Holmfirth, to the Colne below Hapton. The upper part of the chapelry is part of the backbone of England; and Holme-Edge there has an altitude of 1,859 feet. There are, in the valley, several woollen, scribbling, and fulling mills. The manor belongs to S. W. L. Fox. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £150. Patron, the Vicar of Almondbury. The church was built in 1840; is in the pointed style; and has an embattled tower. There are a Wesleyan chapel at Hinchliff mill, and a national school at Holme-Bridge village."
Historically, Holmbridge was in the ecclesiastical parish of Almondbury in the Agbrigg Division of the wapentake of Agbrigg and Morley. From 1937 until 1974, Holmbridge was located in Holmfirth Urban District.
- GENUKI on Holmbridge. The GENUKI page gives numerous references to local bodies providing genealogical assistance.
- The FamilySearch wiki on the ecclesiastical parish of Almondbury provides a list of useful resources for the local area.
- A Vision of Britain through Time on Holmbridge.
- A Vision of Britain through Time also provides links to three maps for what is now South Yorkshire, produced by the United Kingdom Ordnance Survey, illustrating the boundaries between the civil parishes and the rural districts at various dates. These maps all blow up to a scale that will illustrate small villages and large farms or estates.
- Ordnance Survey West Riding 1888. The "Sanitary Districts (which preceded the rural districts) for the whole of the West Riding.
- Ordnance Survey West Riding South 1900. The rural and urban districts, not long after their introduction. (the southern part of Bradford, the southern part of Leeds, the southern part of Tadcaster Rural District, the southern part of Selby, Goole Rural District, and all the divisions of Halifax, Huddersfield, Wakefield, Doncaster, Barnsley, Rotherham and Sheffield)
- Ordnance Survey West Riding 1944. The urban and rural districts of the whole of the West Riding after the revisions of 1935.
Help fund new features!