- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Little Holland changed its name to Holland-on-Sea early in the 20th century.
Holland-on-Sea is a seaside town in east Essex, England. Located south of the little village of Great Holland and directly north of Clacton-on-Sea, it has bus links to Walton-on-the-Naze and Clacton-on-Sea. It is a short coastal walk down the coastline to Clacton.
The parish was part of the Tendring Rural District from 1894 until 1974, and since 1974 it has been located in the Tendring District of Essex.
A nineteenth century description
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Little Holland from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "HOLLAND (LITTLE), a parish in Tendring [registration] district, Essex; on the coast, near the mouth of Holland brook, 2 miles S of Great Holland, and 3 S by W of Kirby [railway] station. Post town, Great Clacton, under Colchester. Acres: 916; of which 270 are water. Real property: £898. Population: 88. Houses: 17. The coast rises in cliffs. The living is a donative, annexed to the vicarage of Great Clacton, in the diocese of Rochester. The church has been demolished."