Place:Hoddom, Dumfriesshire, Scotland

Alt namesHoddamsource: FamilyHistory Catalog
Coordinates55.0644°N 3.2854°W
Located inDumfriesshire, Scotland     ( - 1975)
See alsoDumfries and Galloway Region, Scotlandregional administration 1975-1996
Dumfries and Galloway, Scotlandunitary Council Area since 1996
source: Family History Library Catalog

Parish code for Hoddom: 19

Hoddom was a parish located in the former county of Dumfriesshire. Both county and parish ceased to exist following the Local Government (Scotland) Act 1974. The parish had an area of 30.5 sq. km (11.7 sq. miles) and had has 5 neighbouring parishes: Annan, Cummertrees, Middlebie, St. Mungo and Tundergarth.

The parish included the following settlements: Ecclefechan, Hoddom Cross, and Meinfoot.

Hoddom is now located in the Dumfries and Galloway Council Area, some 5 miles (8 km) southeast of Lockerbie and 5 miles (9 km) north of Annan.


Research Tips

Sources for Old Parish Registers Records, Vital Records and Censuses

  • Scotland's People This is a pay website providing vital statistics and census data for all of Scotland with original images. There is a description at Scotland under Genealogical Resources.

Notes for Dumfriesshire

  • The FreeCen Project has transcriptions of the whole of Dumfriesshire online for the 1841 through 1871 censuses inclusive.
  • The Hoddom Parish Registers for the Church of Scotland provide records of baptisms (1746-1854 ), marriages (only one entry in 1807) and burials (no records retained). See the FamilySearch Wiki article on Hoddom for other church denominations. There is a long note on the Ecclefechan Associate Session, later United Presbyterian Church, and also on the Eskdale Free Church at Ecclefechan. Both of these were non-conformist churches of the 18th and 19th centuries. Both had a baptismal register.

Further Sources of Reference

Please note and respect the copyright warnings on these websites.

  • GENUKI article on Hoddom. These articles often include a bibliography.
  • The Gazetteer for Scotland article on the parish of Hoddom. The tabs on the right provide more information, and a map of the parish within its surrounding area, with small settlements highlighted and linked to more information.
  • The FamilySearch Wiki article on Hoddom provides direct reference to FamilySearch holdings on many topics with respect to the parish.
  • The National Library of Scotland have a website devoted to maps from the 1600s right up to the present. Comparisons of modern-day and old maps of the same place can be made. From the home page click on "Find by place" and then follow the instructions on the next page. Once you are viewing the place you want, use the slider <----> at the top of the map to compare the layout of roads and the place names of smaller areas, perhaps even farms, with the landscape today. The website takes some getting used to. The One-inch 2nd edition, Scotland, 1898-1904 OS is a series of maps with the parishes delineated. Each of these maps cover an area of 18 x 24 miles and will zoom to comfortable reading size with a couple of mouse clicks on the map itself. Unfortunately, they are not geo-referenced, and it is necessary to go to the OS One Inch 1885-1900 series to locate places by latitude and longitude.
  • The Statistical Accounts for Scotland In the 1790s and again in the 1830s, the ministers of the all the parishes of the Church of Scotland were asked to provide a description of their parish to the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland. The original account request included 160 questions to be answered. These accounts are available in print in 20 volumes and are also online where it is freely available to browse. The browsing portal is below the viewing area of most computer screens. Scroll down to "For non-subscribers" and click on "Browse scanned pages". This brings you to another page on which one can enter the name of the parish in which you are interested.
  • Excerpts from The Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland: A Survey of Scottish Topography, Statistical, Biographical and Historical, edited by Francis H. Groome and originally published in parts by Thomas C. Jack, Grange Publishing Works, Edinburgh between 1882 and 1885 are provided by Scottish Places. Selections from Groome and other gazetteers from the 19th century are also found on GENUKI.