Place:Hoby, Leicestershire, England

Alt namesHobiesource: Domesday Book (1985) p 161
TypeInhabited place
Coordinates52.75°N 1.017°W
Located inLeicestershire, England     ( - 1936)
See alsoEast Goscote Hundred, Leicestershire, Englandhundred in which the parish was included
Melton Mowbray Rural, Leicestershire, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1936
Hoby with Rotherby, Leicestershire, Englandcivil parish into which it was absorbed in 1936
Melton District, Leicestershire, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Hoby from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"HOBY, a village and a parish in Melton-Mowbray [registration] district, Leicester. The village stands on the river Wreak, adjacent to Brooksby [railway] station, 6 miles W by S of Melton-Mowbray; and has a post office under Leicester. The parish comprises 1,060 acres. Real property: £2,900. Population: 369. Houses: 79. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to Thomas Paget, Esq. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Rotherby, in the diocese of Peterborough. Value: £800. Patron: Mrs. A. Beresford. The church comprises nave and aisles, with a tower and spire; and was restored in 1856. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £20."

Hoby was an ancient or ecclesiastical parish prior to 1866 when it became a civil parish. Between 1894 and 1936 it was part of Melton Mowbray Rural District. In 1936 it was absorbed into the newly created parish of Hoby with Rotherby situated to the northwest of Melton Mowbray.

Local Administration

The parish was part of Melton Mowbray Rural District from 1894 until 1935 when the rural district was abolished and replaced by the Melton and Belvoir Rural District which covered a larger area. A year after the introduction of the new rural district its parishes were reorganized and reduced in number from 68 to 25.

In 1974 a new nationwide organization of local government was introduced in which rural and urban districts were replaced by "non-metropolitan" districts. In the northeast of Leicestershire this meant little save for the fact that the principal town of Melton Mowbray, formerly a separate urban district, was now governed by the same body (Melton District or Borough) as the rural area that surrounded it.

Research Tips

Maps on the place-pages for Belvoir Rural District and Melton and Belvoir Rural District illustrate the location of the various parishes and the geographical and administrative changes that occurred in 1936.