Hipperholme has long had an association with the neighbouring municipality of Brighouse. During the 19th century they were merged as the parish of Hipperholme with Brighouse under the Halifax Rural Sanitary District. In 1894 when urban and rural sanitary districts gave way to urban district councils and rural district councils, the parish became two separate civil parishes. Brighouse became a municipal borough; Hipperholme became an urban district. In 1937 Hipperholme re-merged with Brighouse as Brighouse Municipal Borough.
In 1974 the West Riding of Yorkshire was abolished and the area divided between West Yorkshire, South Yorkshire and the southern and western parts of North Yorkshire. The Halifax area was established as the Metropolitan Borough of Calderdale.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Hipperholme.