Hillhead is a district of Glasgow, Scotland. Situated north of Kelvingrove Park and to the south of the River Kelvin, Hillhead is at the heart of Glasgow's fashionable West End, with Byres Road forming the western border of the area, the other boundaries being Dumbarton Road to the south and the River Kelvin to the east and north.
The land was the property of the Gibsons of Hillhead from 1702 until 1862. Plots for housing development were made available by the Gibson family from the 1820s onwards.
Hillhead was an independent Police Burgh from 1869, but as Glasgow grew during the nineteenth century it was first swallowed up physically by the growing city, and then administratively in 1891.
The University of Glasgow is located in the area, having moved from its original site on the High Street to its current Gilmorehill location in 1870.
Byres Road is a commercially important district to the city of Glasgow, featuring many of the city's most fashionable and popular independent boutiqes.
Note: The archives about Hillhead are maintained by the Archives of the University of Glasgow (GUAS). (source: Wikipedia)
A website titled Hillhead--Glasgow's West End provides some data and photographs.