- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Stubbington is a small Hampshire village which is located between Southampton and Portsmouth on the south coast of England. It is within the Borough of Fareham. The nearest village is Titchfield. Also near Stubbington is the area of Fareham called Hill Head and the town of Lee-on-the-Solent.
Both Stubbington and neighbouring Crofton were mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086 as small districts belonging to the estates of Titchfield Abbey.
During the 19th century, Stubbington engulfed Crofton and the small fishing village of Hill Head. The Crofton name still remains in the name of many local facilities, such as the Crofton School and Crofton Old Church.
At the start of the 20th century, the village still consisted of just a few dozen cottages and farms. By 1939, the population had risen to around 2,500. In the 21st century the population of Stubbington has risen to over 15,000. No present-day local industries are mentioned for Stubbington.
- Victoria County History of Hampshire, volume 3, chapter on Titchfield.
- GENUKI has a list of archive holders in Hampshire including the Hampshire Record Office, various museums in Portsmouth and Southhampton, the Isle of Wight Record Office and Archives.
- The Hampshire Online Parish Clerk project has a large collection of transcriptions from Parish Registers across Hampshire.
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 together with tables listing the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered, along with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The three-storey City Museum in Winchester covers the Iron Age and Roman periods, the Middle Ages, and the Victorian period.
- Volumes in The Victoria County History Series are available for Hampshire through British History Online. There are three volumes and the county is covered by parishes within the old divisions of "hundreds".
- A collection of maps on the A Vision of Britain through Time website illustrating the English county of Hampshire over the period 1832-1932 (the last two are expandible):
- A group of maps of the post-1974 municipal districts or boroughs of Hampshire on Wikipedia Commons
Categories: Hampshire, England | Stubbington, Hampshire, England | Titchfield, Hampshire, England | Crofton, Hampshire, England | Fareham, Hampshire, England | Fareham District, Hampshire, England