- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Hill is a village and civil parish which has been, since 1996, in South Gloucestershire within the ceremonial county of Gloucestershire, England. It is located midway between the towns of Thornbury in South Gloucestershire and Berkeley in Gloucestershire. The parish stretches from the banks of the River Severn to an outcrop of the Cotswold escarpment. At the 2001 census, it had a population of 114. Hill has four working farms.
A 19th century description
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Hill from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "HILL, a parish in Thornbury district, Gloucester; adjacent to the river Severn, 4 miles N of Thornbury, and 5½ W by S of Dursley Junction [railway] station. Post town, Berkeley. Acres: 2,476; of which 510 are water. Real property: £4,146. Population: 216. Houses: 44. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to Herbert Jenner, Esq. Hill Court is an ancient mansion, supposed to occupy the site of a monastery of the 12th century. The living is a donative in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value: £250. Patron: Herbert Jenner, Esq. The church is ancient but good; and has a tower and spire."
- These notes re sources from GENUKI may be of interest:
- Original source material relating to Hill, and other parishes in Diocese of Gloucester may be found at the premises of Gloucestershire Archives.
- Scribes Alcove is a site to enable searches of baptism, marriage and burial indexes from six Gloucestershire parishes: Berkeley, Thornbury, Oldbury-upon-Severn, Hill, Stone & Rockhampton.
- The period covered for St Michael the Archangel's Church parish records is 1766-1881C (except 1823,1859-1862 & 1865), 1700-1880M (except 1859-1862 & 1865); 1700-1881B (except 1745-1766, 1823, 1859-1862 & 1865).
Help fund new features!