- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Highleadon from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "HIGH LEADON, a hamlet in Rudford parish, Gloucestershire; 5 miles NW of Gloucester. Real property: £1,172. Population: 97. Houses: 23."
Highleadon, despite its size, became a civil parish in 1866 and was a part of Newent Rural District in Gloucestershire, England from 1894 until 1935. In 1935 it was re-absorbed into Rudford parish, the same parish it had been part of before 1866.
There is no article for Highleadon in Wikipedia.
Newent (1837 - 1935)
Newent (1935 - 1937) (as Rudford)
Gloucester Rural (1837 - 1935) (as Rudford)
Gloucester (post-1974) (1974 - 2006) (as Rudford)
Gloucestershire (2006 - ) (as Rudford)
Online sources which may also be helpful:
- GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish in the county. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
- A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county
- Unfortunately, A History of the County of Gloucester in the Victoria County History series provided by the website British History Online does not cover this part of the county
Categories: Gloucestershire, England | Dudstone and Kings Barton (hundred), Gloucestershire, England | Newent Rural, Gloucestershire, England | Gloucester Rural Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Gloucester (post-1974) Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Gloucestershire Registration District, Gloucestershire, England