Highlands is a town in Orange County, New York, United States. Officially known as the Town of Highlands, it is located on the eastern border of the county. The population was 12,492 at the 2010 census.
The town was first settled around 1725 by John Moore, a patentee for this territory.
During the American Revolution, colonial forces constructed Fort Montgomery and Fort Clinton to obstruct enemy progress on the river.
The Town of Highlands was created from the Town of Cornwall in 1872, making it one of the last towns formed in the county.