Place:Highland Cemetery, East Baton Rouge, Louisiana, United States

Watchers


NameHighland Cemetery
TypeCemetery
Coordinates30.40456°N 91.17309°W
Located inEast Baton Rouge, Louisiana, United States

Located at Highland Road and Parker Blvd, opposite the LSU campus (and directly across from the Ag Center). It was established about 1815 on his plantation by Pierre Joseph de Favrot, a creole officer appointed by Gov. Galvez to be commandant of the fort abandoned by the British in 1779. Favrot (who died 1824) and his family are buried here. Many early residents of the "German Highlands" also are buried here. The last burial was in 1939, and urbanization of the surrounding area led to the decline of the cemetery, the loss of many graves and markers and shrunken boundaries. The overgrown and abandoned cemetery was "rediscovered" in the 1960s and rehabilitated as a park space with surviving tombs and markers being cleaned and repaired by a consortium of civic groups.

Resources