|Alt names||High Roothing||source: Family History Library Catalog|
|Rodinges||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 104|
|Rodingis||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 104|
|Roichinges||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 104|
|Roinges||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 104|
|Located in||Essex, England|
|See also||Dunmow Rural, Essex, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1974|
|Uttlesford (district), Essex, England||district municipality covering the area since 1974|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of High Roding from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "ROOTHING (High), a parish, with a village, in Dunmow district, Essex; on the river Roding, 3¾ miles S S W of Great Dunmow, and 8 E N E of Sawbridgeworth [railway] station. Post-town, Dunmow, under Chelmsford. Acres: 1,803. Real property: £2,823. Population: 469. Houses: 110. The property is subdivided. The manor was given, in the time of the Confessor, to a monastery in the Isle of Ely. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value: £391. Patron: the Earl of Roden. The church was recently restored. There is a parochial school."
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
High Roding is one of The Rodings (or Roothings) - a group of villages in Essex, England, the largest group in the country to bear a common name. They are believed to be the remnants of a single Anglo-Saxon community known as the Hroðingas, led by Hroða, who sailed up the River Thames and along a tributary in the sixth century and settled in the area. This was one of the sub-kingdoms that were absorbed into the Kingdom of Essex. The River Roding and the villages derived their name from Hroda. The typical pronunciation of the name is "Roadings". The Rodings formed a single land unit that was investigated by Stephen Basset.
The villages are recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086 as Rodinges in the Hundred of Dunmow. In the time of Edward the Confessor, it was held by the Abbey of St Æthelthryth of Ely; however, after the Norman Conquest, part was taken by William de Warenne. Part was also held by the de Veres and de Mandevilles families, who became the Earls of Oxford and Earls of Essex. By the 14th century, the boundaries and names of the villages had become fairly established.
High Roding was part of the Dunmow Rural District from 1894 until 1974. Since 1974 it has been located in the Uttlesford District of Essex.
- A map of Dunmow Rural District.
- The Recorders of Ucclesford History provides a series of webpages on most of the parishes in Ucclesford District. They also host transcriptions from various parishes provided by local family history societies.
- Rollason, Pam (June 2008). "Around the Rodings". Essex Life (Archant). p. 92.
- Andrew Reynolds, "Later Anglo-Saxon England" (Tempus, 2002, page 67) drawing on S Bassett (ed) The Origin of Anglo-Saxon Kingdoms (Leicester, 1989)
- Basset, Stephen (1997). "Continuity and fission in the Anglo-Saxon landscape: the origins of the Rodings (Essex)". Landscape History 19: 25–42.