- source: Family History Library Catalog
Hexhamshire West Quarter was located to the west of Hexham and is described in A Vision of Britain through Time as a township of Hexham and a civil parish. It was absorbed into Hexhamshire parish in 1955. There are no references in Wikipedia, but A Vision of Britain through Time has an excerpt from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72 in its page on Hexhamshire. This is reproduced in tabular form on the equivalent page here in WeRelate.
Settlements in Hexhamshire West Quarter included Greenshaw Plain, Nubbock and Summerrods.
The term "quarter" is not defined, but would appear to be of similar meaning to the terms "without" and "rural" which are attached to the names of fairly urban parishes in other counties of England. These rural parishes came about after the introduction of Urban and Rural Districts in 1894, when it was deemed appropriate to divide the country into urban and rural areas which had different demands and rates for property taxes.
Co-ordinates based on Nubbock Cottage as found on Google Earth. Substantial acreages of the West Quarter were transferred to Hexham in 1935, and to Haydon and Hexhamshire Low Quarter in 1955.
- Hexhamshire local website
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.