Hexhamshire Low Quarter is a civil parish in Northumberland, England. It is situated to the south of Hexham and to the north of Hexhamshire civil parish which was created in 1955. The largest settlement in the parish is Juniper.
From 1894 Hexhamshire Low Quarter was part of Hexham Rural District. In 1974 rural districts were abolished and it became part of the Tynedale District until 2009 when Northumberland became a unitary authority.
Hexhamshire Low Quarter is described in A Vision of Britain through Time as a township of Hexham and a civil parish. There is a further description in A Vision of Britain through Time under Hexhamshire which has been reproduced in tabular form on the equivalent page here in WeRelate. On the two later maps listed below it is located directly south of Hexham. It contains a settlement named Steel which had a post office, and another farm or settlement named Newbiggin, a common placename in Northumberland, and therefore possibly not the Newbiggin referred to in lists of places in the county. Further settlements are Dotland, Lee, Linnels, and Ordley.
The term "quarter" is not defined, but would appear to be of similar meaning to the terms "without" and "rural" which are attached to the names of fairly urban parishes in other counties of England. These rural parishes came about after the introduction of Urban and Rural Districts in 1894, when it was deemed appropriate to divide the country into urban and rural areas which had different demands and rates for property taxes.
Juniper is not visible on pre 1955 maps.