The City of Hewitt was established following the donation of land by John A. Warren, the town's first businessman, in the 1880s. Warren purchased the approximately and the town site was named Hewitt in 1883 for George A. Hewitt, an employee of the Missouri, Kansas and Texas (KATY) Railroad.
During the following decades, the community flourished on farming and agriculture during the days when "cotton was king".
Hewitt grew slowly but steadily until the late 1970s, when the population exploded. The steady upward growth that continued for more than a century gave way to a 700-percent population boom. In 1890, 60 residents called Hewitt home, with approximately 10,000 finding the town the place to be today.
Many of Warren's descendants still live in Hewitt, as well as Woodway and other surrounding suburbs of Waco, Texas. The notable Warren family of Waco is also known for their allegiance to Baylor University in Waco, Texas