|Alt names||West Heslerton||source: township and part of the parish of Heslerton|
|East Heslerton||source: township and part of the parish of Heslerton|
|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||East Riding of Yorkshire, England ( - 1974)|
|Also located in||Yorkshire, England |
|North Yorkshire, England (1974 - )|
|See also||Yedingham, East Riding of Yorkshire, England||ancient parish of which it was once a township|
|Buckrose Wapentake, East Riding of Yorkshire, England||wapentake in which it was situated|
|Norton Rural, East Riding of Yorkshire, England||rural district of which the civil parish was a part 1894-1974|
|Ryedale District, North Yorkshire, England||district municipality in which it has been situated since 1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
Heslerton was originally a township in the ancient parish of Yedingham in the Buckrose Wapentake in the East Riding of Yorkshire. Before the advent of civil parishes in 1866 Hesleton became an ancient parish in its own right. However, it was split into the two civil parishes of East Heslerton and West Heslerton. In 1894 they each became part of the Norton Rural District of the East Riding. (Source: A Vision of Britain through Time)
In 1935 Heslerton was re-formed out of two neighbouring civil parishes of West Heslerton and East Heslerton. West Heslerton was the larger of the villages.
In 1974 rural districts were abolished and the border between the East Riding of Yorkshire and the North Riding of Yorkshire was realigned. The North Riding changed its name to North Yorkshire.
Since 1974 Heslerton has been in North Yorkshire, specifically within the Ryedale District.
West Heslerton and East Heslerton have both been redirected here.
Most information on the immediate area will be found under West Heslerton.
- GENUKI on West Heslerton.
- A Vision of Britain through Time on West Heslerton.
- The FamilySearch wiki on the ecclesiastical parish of West Heslerton provides a list of useful resources.
- A Vision of Britain through Time also provides links to three maps of the East Riding, produced by the United Kingdom Ordnance Survey, illustrating the boundaries between the civil parishes and the rural districts at various dates. These maps all blow up to a scale that will illustrate small villages and large farms or estates.
- For a discussion of where to find Archive Offices in Yorkshire, see GENUKI.
- Yorkshire has a large number of family history and genealogical societies. A list of the societies will be found on the Yorkshire, England page.
Categories: East Riding of Yorkshire, England | Heslerton, East Riding of Yorkshire, England | Yedingham, East Riding of Yorkshire, England | Buckrose Wapentake, East Riding of Yorkshire, England | Norton Rural, East Riding of Yorkshire, England | North Yorkshire, England | Ryedale District, North Yorkshire, England