Hertford is the county town of Hertfordshire, England, and is also a civil parish in the East Hertfordshire district of the county. Forming a civil parish, the 2001 census put the population of Hertford at about 24,180. Recent estimates are that it is now around 28,000. The name is Anglo Saxon and means the ford frequented by harts or stags.
Hertford was originally made up of the ecclesiastical parishes of Hertford All Saints, Hertford St. Andrew and Hertford St. John. Each of these parishes had land holdings outside the confines of the town. The Local Government Act of 1894 obliged the counties to define whether a block of land was urban or rural. The outside holdings were considered rural and were established as civil parishes. These rural parishes became known as Hertford St. Andrew Rural, Hertford St. John and Brickendon for Hertford All Saints.
Haileybury and Imperial Service College is an independent school near Hertford, England. Originally a boys' public school, it is now co-educational.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Hertford.