|Alt names||Nashes Green||source: hamlet in parish|
|Southrope||source: village in parish|
|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Hampshire, England|
|See also||Odiham Hundred, Hampshire, England||ancient county division in which it was located before 1834|
|Bermondspit Hundred, Hampshire, England||ancient county division in which it was located after 1834|
|Basingstoke Rural, Hampshire, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1974|
|Basingstoke and Deane District, Hampshire, England||district municipality covering the area since 1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Herriard is a village and civil parish in the Basingstoke and Deane District of Hampshire, situated between Alton and Basingstoke. At the 2001 UK census it had a population of 247. It was formerly served by the now-disused Herriard railway station on the Basingstoke and Alton Light Railway.
The parish also contains the village of Southrope and the hamlet of Nashes Green. It borders the Hampshire parishes of Winslade to the north, Tunworth to the northeast, Weston Patrick to the east, Lasham to the south and Ellisfield to the west.
Herriard House was a Queen Anne mansion demolished in the 1960s. It was the home of the Jervoise family.
- Victoria County History of Hampshire, volume 3, chapter on Herriard.
- GENUKI has a list of archive holders in Hampshire including the Hampshire Record Office, various museums in Portsmouth and Southhampton, the Isle of Wight Record Office and Archives.
- The Hampshire Online Parish Clerk project has a large collection of transcriptions from Parish Registers across Hampshire.
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 together with tables listing the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered, along with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The three-storey City Museum in Winchester covers the Iron Age and Roman periods, the Middle Ages, and the Victorian period.
- Volumes in The Victoria County History Series are available for Hampshire through British History Online. There are three volumes and the county is covered by parishes within the old divisions of "hundreds".
- A collection of maps on the A Vision of Britain through Time website illustrating the English county of Hampshire over the period 1832-1932 (the last two are expandible):
- A group of maps of the post-1974 municipal districts or boroughs of Hampshire on Wikipedia Commons
Categories: Hampshire, England | Herriard, Hampshire, England | Odiham Hundred, Hampshire, England | Bermondspit Hundred, Hampshire, England | Basingstoke Rural, Hampshire, England | Basingstoke and Deane District, Hampshire, England