|Alt names||Hepple Demesne||source: adjoining smaller parish abolished in 1889|
|Type||Township, Civil parish|
|Located in||Northumberland, England|
|See also||Rothbury, Northumberland, England||ancient parish in which it was a township|
|Coquetdale Ward, Northumberland, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Rothbury Rural, Northumberland, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1955Bickerton, Northumberland, England|parish which it absorbed in 1955|
|Caistron, Northumberland, England||parish which it absorbed in 1955|
|Farnham, Northumberland, England||parish which it absorbed in 1955|
|Woodside, Northumberland, England||parish which it absorbed in 1955|
|Wreighill, Northumberland, England||parish which it absorbed in 1955|
|Alnwick District, Northumberland, England||district municipality covering the area 1974-2009|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Hepple is a small village and parish in rural Northumberland, England, 4 miles (6.4 km) west of Rothbury, which provides most of its local services. It is on the edge of the Northumberland National Park, and lies on the bank of the River Coquet. It is on the road between Rothbury and Otterburn. In 2011 it had a population of 144 according to the UK census.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Hepple from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "HEPPLE and HEPPLE-DEMESNE, two townships in Rothbury parish, Northumberland; on the river Coquet, 5½ miles W by S of Rothbury. Acres: 3,874 and 1,534. Population: 74 and 30. Houses: 14 and 6. Hepple House is the seat of Sir Walter Riddell, Bart.; and includes remains of an ancient castle, which belonged to the Bardolfs, the Talboyses, and the Ogles. An ancient chapel stood on Kirk-hill, about ¼ of a mile to the W; was destroyed by the moss troopers; and was completely removed in 1760. An ancient British camp is at Helchester, near a Roman way; and a number of urns have been found."
Hepple was originally a township in the ancient parish of Rothbury, Northumberland. Hepple became a separate civil parish in 1866 and in 1889 Hepple Demesne became part of it. From 1894 until 1955 it was part of Rothbury Rural District. In 1955 Hepple absorbed the following parishes, all of which were abolished:
In 1974 rural districts were abolished and Hepple became part of the Alnwick District until 2009 when Northumberland became a unitary authority.
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.