- source: Family History Library Catalog
NOTE: High and Low Highlaws should not be confused with the township and parish of Highlaws which is located further west southwest beyond Hartburn.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of High and Low Highlaws from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "HEIGHLEY, or High and Low Highlaws, a township in Mitford parish, Northumberland; 3 miles NW of Morpeth. It includes the villages of Heighlaw-Gate and Espley. Acres: 1,357. Population: 82. Houses: 19."
High and Low Highlaws (now Heighley) was originally a township in the ancient parish of Mitford, Northumberland. It became a separate civil parish in 1866, but in 1955 it was abolished and absorbed into the neighbouring parish of Hebron.
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.