- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Hedge End is a town and civil parish in Hampshire, England. Situated to the east of the City of Southampton, it adjoins the parishes of West End and Botley. Hedge End lies within the Borough of Eastleigh and is part of the Southampton Urban Area. The original hamlet developed on Botley Common after 1250 when it was granted to the men of Botley as common pasture. In 1267, royal charters allowed Botley to hold an annual fair and a weekly market on the common which eventually became a market town.
- end of Wikipedia contribution
Hedge End was made a civil parish in 1894 from part of the parish of Botley. It was located in South Stoneham Rural District until 1932 when it was transferred into Winchester Rural District on the demise of the rural district of South Stoneham. Since 1974 it has been part of the Borough of Eastleigh. (Source: A Vision of Britain through Time)
- Victoria County History of Hampshire, volume 3, chapter on Botley.
- GENUKI has a list of archive holders in Hampshire including the Hampshire Record Office, various museums in Portsmouth and Southhampton, the Isle of Wight Record Office and Archives.
- The Hampshire Online Parish Clerk project has a large collection of transcriptions from Parish Registers across Hampshire.
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 together with tables listing the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered, along with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The three-storey City Museum in Winchester covers the Iron Age and Roman periods, the Middle Ages, and the Victorian period.
- Volumes in The Victoria County History Series are available for Hampshire through British History Online. There are three volumes and the county is covered by parishes within the old divisions of "hundreds".
- A collection of maps on the A Vision of Britain through Time website illustrating the English county of Hampshire over the period 1832-1932 (the last two are expandible):
- A group of maps of the post-1974 municipal districts or boroughs of Hampshire on Wikipedia Commons
Categories: Hampshire, England | Hedge End, Hampshire, England | Botley, Hampshire, England | South Stoneham Rural, Hampshire, England | Winchester Rural, Hampshire, England | Eastleigh District, Hampshire, England