Hebron was founded in the 1890s and was alternatively known as Shepton (see 1902 plat map. There is another place called Shepton nearby. Not sure if same entity.). The land was donated by the Blackland Townsite Company, a subsidiary of the St. Louis and San Francisco Railroad. Historically, the town center was based near the intersection of two railroads, near present day E Hebron Parkway and 1st Street. Much of that town center has been cleared and developed over.
The town was first incorporated in 1961 as a method to prevent Plano and Carrollton from annexing the territory and imposing taxes. The city of Hebron imposed no taxes of its own and when the time was ripe for a landowner to develop his land, he would ask the town to disannex that parcel. Hebron's city limits once covered about 25 square miles from the Collin County line west to the Trinity River and from the Dallas County line north to State Highway 121. Now it comprises a few plots of land connected with narrow strips and easements, which confuses many maps. Stanley Dozier, the namesake of Dozier Road, was the only mayor of the town between 1961 and 1997. The town is currently managed by a three person commission with Kelly Clem as the current mayor.
Air Park-Dallas Airport was built as a public civilian airstrip within the city limits in 1965.
For the last 20 years, Hebron has deannexed large portions of its territory to neighboring communities (Lewisville, The Colony, Carrollton, and Plano), to be annexed by those communities instead. The original goal was for Hebron to disappear entirely as an incorporated community, but recently elected leaders have attempted to reverse the situation and allow Hebron to continue as a town. This is partially in response to the city of Carrollton's threatening not to maintain the water supply unless the town is annexed to Carrollton.