The village dates from at least the early medieval period, but later contracted to a few habitations. Healing railway station opened in 1848, and in the late 1800s/early 1900s the village expanded. The parish was once known as the site of a healing spring.
Outside the village there are no significant habitations in the parish. A large textile fibre plant was constructed by Courtaulds near the Humber bank in the late 1950s, and near the boundary with Great Coates a large industrial estate, Europarc, was established in the 1990s.