|Name||Healaugh (near Tadcaster)|
|Alt names||Healaugh (near Tadcaster)||source: from redirect|
|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||West Riding of Yorkshire, England ( - 1974)|
|Also located in||North Yorkshire, England (1974 - )|
|Yorkshire, England |
|See also||Buckrose Wapentake, East Riding of Yorkshire, England||wapentake of which it was a part in earlier centuries|
|Ainsty Wapentake, West Riding of Yorkshire, England||wapentake of which it was a part until 1894|
|Tadcaster Rural, West Riding of Yorkshire, England||rural district of which it was a part 1894-1974|
|Selby District, North Yorkshire, England||municipal district of which it has been a part since 1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Healaugh (near Tadcaster) has been since 1974 a village and civil parish in the Selby District of North Yorkshire, England. According to the 2001 census it had a population of 161 in 63 households. The population had increased to 249 at the 2011 census. The village is about three miles north northeast of Tadcaster.
The present civil parish is a joint parish with nearby Catterton. The parish covers an area of 3,378 acres of which the village occupies 2,666 acres. It lies 2.29 miles (3.69 km) west of Askham Richard, 1.62 miles (2.61 km) east of Wighill and 1.19 miles (1.92 km) north of Catterton. A short distance to the east of the village is Dam Dyke which flows via Catterton Beck and The Foss into the River Wharfe near Bolton Percy.
Despite its location west of the City of York, Healaugh was originally an ancient parish in Buckrose Wapentake in the East Riding of Yorkshire. Later it was transferred to Ainsty Wapentake which was reponsible for its neighbouring parishes. In 1866 the status of civil parish was introduced and this was taken on by most ancient parishes and also by their subsidiary townships if they were of any size at all. In 1866 Healaugh, which had no townships, became a civil parish. In 1894 it became part of the Tadcaster Rural District of the West Riding.
In 1974 rural districts were abolished and the border between the East Riding of Yorkshire and the North Riding of Yorkshire was realigned. The North Riding changed its name to North Yorkshire.
Since 1974 Healaugh has been in North Yorkshire, specifically within the Selby District.
- the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
Healaugh Park Priory was established near the village at the site now called Healaugh Manor Farm. It was founded in 1218 by Jordan de Santa Maria and his wife, Alice, who was the grand-daughter of Betram Haget. Haget had previously granted the lands outside the village for a hermitage to Gilbert, a monk of Marmoutier. It was finally dissolved in 1535. After the dissolution, it served as the Manor house, amongst whose owners were Sir Arthur D'Arcy and Thomas Wharton, 1st Baron Wharton.
A nineteenth century description
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Healaugh from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "HEALAUGH, a parish in the district of Tadcaster and W. R. Yorkshire; 3½ miles N by E of Tadcaster town and [railway] station. Post town, Tadcaster. Acres, 2,800. Real property, £4,431. Population: 228. Houses: 41. The manor, with Healaugh Hall, belongs to the Rev. E. H. Brooksbank. An ancient manor house, occupying the site of a previous edifice, called "the Hermitage in the Wood", was converted, in 1218, by Jordan de St. Maria, into a priory of black canons; was given, at the dissolution, to James Gage; passed to Sir Arthur Darey; became the residence of Sir Thomas Wharton; and is now a moated farm house. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value: £100. Patron: the Rev. E. H. Brooksbank. The church was partially rebuilt in 1860; consists of nave, N aisle, and chancel, with a tower; has a fine Norman door; contains an elegant tomb of Sir Thomas Wharton; and stands on an eminence."
- GENUKI on Healaugh.
- A Vision of Britain through Time on Healaugh.
- The FamilySearch wiki on the ecclesiastical parish of Healaugh provides a list of useful resources for the local area.
- A Vision of Britain through Time also provides links to four maps of the West Riding, produced by the United Kingdom Ordnance Survey, illustrating the boundaries between the civil parishes and the rural districts at various dates. These maps all blow up to a scale that will illustrate small villages and large farms or estates.
- Ordnance Survey West Riding 1888. The "Sanitary Districts (which preceded the rural districts) for the whole of the West Riding.
- Ordnance Survey West Riding South 1900. The rural and urban districts, not long after their introduction. (the southern part of Bradford, the southern part of Leeds, the southern part of Tadcaster Rural District, the southern part of Selby, Goole Rural District, and all the divisions of Halifax, Huddersfield, Wakefield, Doncaster, Barnsley, Rotherham and Sheffield)
- Ordnance Survey West Riding North 1900 The rural and urban districts, not long after their introduction. (rural districts of Sedbergh, Settle, Skipton, Pateley Bridge, Ripon, Knaresborough, Great Ouseburn, Clitheroe, Wharfedale, Wetherby, York, Bishopthorpe, Keighley, the northern part of Bradford, the northern part of Leeds, the northern part of Hunslet Urban District, the northern part of Tadcaster Rural District, the northern part of Selby Rural District)
- Ordnance Survey West Riding 1944. The urban and rural districts of the whole of the West Riding after the revisions of 1935.
- For a discussion of where to find Archive Offices in Yorkshire, see GENUKI.
- Yorkshire has a large number of family history and genealogical societies. A list of the societies will be found on the Yorkshire, England page.
Categories: West Riding of Yorkshire, England | Healaugh (near Tadcaster), West Riding of Yorkshire, England | Buckrose Wapentake, East Riding of Yorkshire, England | Ainsty Wapentake, West Riding of Yorkshire, England | Tadcaster Rural, West Riding of Yorkshire, England | Selby District, North Yorkshire, England | North Yorkshire, England