Place:Haynes, Bedfordshire, England

Watchers


NameHaynes
Alt namesHagenessource: Domesday Book (1985) p 29
Hawnessource: Family History Library Catalog
TypeVillage
Coordinates52.067°N 0.4°W
Located inBedfordshire, England
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Haynes is a small village and civil parish located in Bedfordshire, England, about seven miles (11 km) south of Bedford. It includes the small hamlet of Haynes Church End. It was previously known as Hawnes.

The name 'Haynes' is derived from an Old English word meaning "enclosures". It was mentioned in Domesday Book. There is a pub, "The Greyhound", a shop, a post office, a village hall and a Lower School.

In 1730 the philosopher John Gay became Vicar of Wilshamstead (later adding the living of Haynes).

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Haynes, Bedfordshire. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.