Haymarket is a town in Prince William County, Virginia. The population was 1,782 at the 2010 United States Census, although a 2012 population estimate places the town's population at 1,909. Haymarket is home to the Haymarket Senators of the Valley Baseball League. Notable residents include Andray Blatche.
Haymarket owes it’s location to the Iroquois as the center of the town was their hunting path. It was used until 1722, when a treaty forced the Iroquois into the Blue Ridge Mountain region. Due to the use of the area as hunting paths, the location, and later the town, was given the nickname The Crossroads.
The town of Haymarket was formally founded in 1799 on the land of William Skinker. The Virginia General Assembly gave Skinker the rights to layout the town, which he drew to consist of 13 streets and 140 lots. Shortly after, a clerk’s office and jail were constructed sometime in 1801, as the town had been selected to be the home for a now District Court. Today St. Paul’s Church stands in its location. The town owe’s its early thrive in business to the court.
Six years later in 1807, the Virginia General Assembly abolished the District Court in favor of the Circuit Court system that was to be located at each county seat. Until 1830 the Court House remained the focal point of the town while serving multiple purposes. In 1830, the Court House was converted into and deeded an Episcopal Church; three years later in 1833 being consecrated St Paul’s.
During the Civil War, on November 4, 1862, Union troops invaded Haymarket, setting the entire town ablaze. Only four buildings survived: three small houses and St. Paul’s Church. For the remainder of the war Haymarket remained mostly unpopulated. There were only two more incidents,in June 1863 and October 1864. They both involved the Confederate cavalry.
Following General Robert E. Lee’s surrender, Haymarket began to recover and slowly regained its former prosperity and size.
Haymarket was incorporated in 1882, the second town in Prince William County to do so. The first Mayor elected was Mr. Garrett Hulfish and the first Councilmen elected were Mr. T.A. Smith, Mr. Charles Jordan, and Mr. William W. Meade. In May 1882 during the Council’s second meeting, the rudimentary ordinances were drafted and adopted.
From 1882 to today, much of central Haymarket has remained the same. The town borders U.S Route 15. While no schools are located with the town, the area is now home to 5 schools — all part of the Prince William County School System. In the 1970s during the construction of the Interstate System, Haymarket became Exit 40 of Interstate 66, giving way to the town’s movement away from a rural town, as well as it’s population boom. In the early 1990s The Walt Disney Company drafted plans to build a theme park near Haymarket, named Disney's America. Due to heavy opposition from the town’s citizens, the project was cancelled.