|Alt names||Haydon-Bridge||source: Family History Library Catalog|
|Haydon Bridge||source: village in parish|
|Brokenhaugh||source: hamlet in parish|
|Chesterwood||source: hamlet in parish|
|Deanrow||source: hamlet in parish|
|Ellerington||source: hamlet in parish|
|Langley||source: hamlet in parish|
|Lipwood||source: hamlet in parish|
|Type||Chapelry, Civil parish|
|Located in||Northumberland, England|
|See also||Warden, Northumberland, England||ancient parish in which it was a chapelry|
|Tynedale Ward, Northumberland, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Hexham Rural, Northumberland, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1955|
|Tynedale District, Northumberland, England||district municipality covering the area 1974-2009|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
Haydon Bridge is a village in Northumberland, England, with a population of about 2000. Its most distinctive features are the two bridges crossing the River South Tyne; the picturesque original bridge for which the village was named (now restricted to pedestrian use) and a modern bridge which used to carry the A69 road. A bypass was completed in 2009 and the A69 now bypasses the village to the south.
The modern village is divided in two by the River South Tyne, whereas the old village (Haydon) was to the north, on the hill overlooking the river; all that remains is a Norman church now reduced in size from the original, which used stone taken from nearby Roman Hadrian's Wall. The A686 road joins the A69 just to the south east of the village, linking Haydon Bridge with Alston and Penrith.
Haydon was a township in the ancient parish of Warden and became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 until 1974 the parish was part of Hexham Rural District. In 1974 rural districts were abolished and Haydon became part of the Tynedale District until 2009 when Northumberland became a unitary authority. Haydon Bridge is the village, Haydon the township which became a civil parish.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Haydon from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "HAYDON, or HAYDON-BRIDGE, a small town and a chapelry, or in some respects a parish, in Hexham [registration] district, Northumberland. The town stands on both banks of the South Tyne river, and on the Newcastle and Carlisle railway, 7½ miles W of Hexham; consists chiefly of two good streets, extending parallel to the river; has a good bridge of six arches; had formerly a weekly market; and has a post-office‡ under Carlisle, a railway station with telegraph, one or two good inns, a church, four dissenting chapels, a free grammar school, a national school, and alms-houses. The church is an edifice of 1797, with a square tower. J. Martin, the painter, was a native.
- "The chapelry contains also the hamlets of Brokenhaugh, Deanrow, Ellerington, Lipwood, Chesterwood, and Langley. Acres: 13,688. Real property: £5,440. Population in 1851: 2,085; in 1861: 2,221. Houses: 434. The manor belonged formerly to Lords Lucy, and belongs now to Greenwich hospital. Langley Castle is a large and stately ruin; first mentioned in 1365; standing now in nearly the same state as when described in 1416; and forming an oblong, with massive, projecting, corner towers. Langley smelting mills are large works of lead and zinc ores. There is also, at the town, a large iron and brass foundry. The tract along the Tyne is fertile and beautiful; but much of the rest of the surface is moor and upland. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Warden, in the diocese of Durham. The old church stands about a mile N of the town; and was converted into a mortuary chapel. The old cemetery bears the name of "cruel syke," probably from some Border foray.
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.
Categories: Northumberland, England | Haydon, Northumberland, England | Warden, Northumberland, England | Tynedale Ward, Northumberland, England | Hexham Rural, Northumberland, England | Tynedale District, Northumberland, England